Homeworks writing service

The guildfords explosions in 1974 at england

The devastated Horse and Groom pub in North Street Get daily updates directly to your inbox Subscribe Thank you for subscribingSee our privacy notice Could not subscribe, try again laterInvalid Email On the night of Saturday October 5 1974, IRA bombs ripped through two Guildford pubs the guildfords explosions in 1974 at england, claiming the lives of five young people and injuring more than 65 others.

Many more lives were shaped by the events that night, which became a defining moment in the history of the town. The first blast was at 8. No warning was given of either explosion. The device in the Horse and Groom was thought to be 10lb of nitro glycerine, hidden under a bench seat in the corner of the pub. It was probably powered by a battery and a stopwatch served as a timer.

Navigation menu

A message from the police headquarters followed one minute later. The The guildfords explosions in 1974 at england and Groom was full of customers when the first bomb went off The county town was measurably different to Guildford of 2014.

The army presence at Stoughton, Pirbright and Aldershot meant the town centre was a popular destination for soldiers, and Guildford was on the edge of one of the largest army training complexes in the country at the height of the Troubles. The bombers knew this only too well. Soldiers were paid on a Thursday and weekend nights would be when they would head out of the barracks.

The Horse and Groom was popular because it was reputed to have the cheapest beer in town.

1974 London pillar box bombings

The Seven Stars had a disco. Servicemen and women would start their evening at the Horse and Groom and then move on to the Seven Stars. It was believed this was the reason why the Seven Stars bomb was detonated later that night. Police officers who were on the scene recalled that at first the bomb at the Horse and Groom was thought to be a gas explosion. Initial reports suggested it had not been considered that more pubs would be targeted after the Horse and Groom explosion, and consequently the guildfords explosions in 1974 at england was only after the second blast at the Seven Stars that all other pubs were evacuated.

Between 150 and 200 people had been there earlier that evening. After seeing the horrific damage, he rushed back to his pub and told everyone to get out. He said the pub was busy that evening but emptied after the first explosion when Mr O'Brien told them to leave. They heard there had been an explosion at the Horse and Groom.

1974 Houses of Parliament bombing

The two men checked the pub and nearby shop doorways but found nothing. Minutes later the second bomb went off, injuring Mr O'Brien and his wife, four pub staff and a girl who was walking past. They had searched the pub but could not find anything. The 35-year-old landlord suffered cuts to his head and hands and ended up hospitalised.

Two teenage boys undertaking basic training for the Scots Guards at Pirbright also lost their lives that dreadful night. The guildfords explosions in 1974 at england other victim, the only civilian killed, was 22-year-old plasterer Paul Craig, from Borehamwood.

Carol Ann had turned 19 and Paul would have celebrated his 23rd birthday the next day. A total of 17 ambulances including four military vehicles took bodies and casualties to the Royal Surrey, Farnham Road and Cambridge Military hospitals.

Recollections from the time said that a garage opposite the Royal Surrey was used as a temporary mortuary. The hunt for the bombers saw four men jailed for life before their convictions were quashed in 1989. The Guildford Four included Gerry Conlonwho died in Belfast in June this year following a long the guildfords explosions in 1974 at england with illness.